An early morning – lemon water is a blessing for the whole day. Each morning, I start my day with a 16oz. glass of warm water with lemon juice in it. I first read about lemon water cleanse from ‘The Master Cleanse’ by Stanley Burroughs.
Since I started this ritual, I discovered a lot of health benefits of this simple, yet powerful concoction:
- Detoxifies Liver: Lemon contains an enzyme ‘D-Limonene’ which activates the enzymes in the liver and helps in detoxification. An average lemon juice contains about 100 mg of D-Limonene.
- Alkalizes the body: It is a very good source of Vitamin A, B, C, and K, is rich in citric acid, phosphoric acid, malic acid and sugar. It has an alkalizing effect in the body and helps in reduces phlegm in the body.
- Vitamin C: It is an excellent source of Vitamin C which is great immune booster and one of the most important antioxidants in nature. These antioxidants travel through the body and neutralize free radicals both inside and outside the cell. Free radicals can damage healthy cells of body and cause lot of inflammation and swelling. The antioxidants are helpful in reducing symptoms with arthritis and rheumatism. Lemons are great for fighting colds and clears cough and mucus.
- Blood Pressure: Lemon juice contains potassium which stimulates brain and nerve function and helps control blood pressure.
- Balances pH: Lemons are incredibly alkaline food. They are acidic fruit but inside our bodies they are alkaline.
- Digestion: The warm lemon water stimulates the liver and helps in digestion. The liver produces more enzymes from lemon water than any other food. It stimulates the peristalsis which causes bowel movement naturally and easily. It aids in digestion and helps to get rid of toxins in the digestive tract. It is a natural laxative and helps to get rid of excess bile in the body. It can help reduce symptoms of heartburn, indigestion and bloating.
- Natural Diuretic – Helps to keep urinary tract healthy by flushing out toxins which helps in preventing inflammatory conditions in the body.
If you have a habit of drinking coffee in the morning, try replacing it with this simple energizing, alkalizing and healing elixir.
Lemon Water Elixir
- 16 oz of warm water
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ tsp pure turmeric powder (optional – but I suggest you use it)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Raw honey or maple syrup – to taste (optional)
Boil the water. Let it cool till it is warm. Add the lemon juice, turmeric and sweetener of choice, if using and stir. Drink immediately and keep stirring as the turmeric tends to settle at the bottom.
Notes: Please consult a doctor if you suspect having a lemon allergy. If you are concerned about tooth erosion from the juice, I suggest drinking it with a straw and/or rinsing your mouth after drinking. People suffering from ulcers or heartburn should not drink too much as this may make your condition worse. Try diluting the concoction or start off with ¼ of a lemon and stop if you find your condition worsening.
The Ultimate pH Solution: Balance Your Body Chemistry to Prevent Disease and Lose Weight – by
The Master Cleanser: With Special Needs and Problems Paperback – 1993by